Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas Post

"Despite the unexpected location change, at the last minute. Christmas, with the family, was pulled off with dignity and grace. really, all anyone wants to eat are the cookies anyway, right?"
--Becky on her blog

She puts it well. It was nice and low-key. It was great meeting Marie's daughter Jeannie, and being with family...we missed Matt and Jenny, but they spent time with her family, so that was good for them. (Matt would have been miserable with our cats in any case...sorry dude.) But we got through it. Tomorrow is just us and the kids, and quiet. George and the kids are going to church in the morning. I just want to sleep. Everything went well...but I kept looking at the door waiting for Mom.

People made Mom's cookies. The kids were playing and screaming and crying. We were sitting in the living room chatting and making small talk and laughing. But the laughing wasn't as loud. The kids seemed more subdued (believe it or not) and Christmas just felt smaller without Mom. It felt empty.

I hope the kids didn't feel it, but I sure did. I miss you Mom. More than I ever thought possible. I am never a big holiday person, but this year I feel like the Grinch.

(this was written 25-December at 0430 in the morning. I just noticed that it was never published.)

No comments:

Post a Comment