Monday, December 19, 2011

 I am now officially following the uh...following blog:

itsallfunnytome.blogspot.com

It's Becky and her Banditos. It's far funnier than anything that I could try to put together, but I try not to be jealous of her talent.


And the above statement demonstrates one of the bizarre things about the English language, and one which I have a difficult time with--not  splitting infinitives. If you are not aware, an infinitive is a non-conjugated form of the verb, in this case 'to be.'  In my mind, it would make more sense to say 'I try to not be jealous.' But that's not proper. 'I try not to be jealous,' is correct, but it sounds funny. It looks funny. It is funny. I'm not trying not to be. I like being after all. I just want to exist (to be) not in a state of jealousy. I want to not be jealous...to be not jealous...ah nuts.

Yet, that's how English works. I've always just accepted it. When you're in a class (or teaching a class) of 20+ students you just don't ask or answer all the possible questions that are out there. When you have only two students, you can't duck the tough questions, like "why is it wrong to split infinitives?" I think that grammar is the only subject where an acceptable answer is "just because that's how we do it."
Well, grammar and statistics, but I don't have to teach statistics.
 
 And now for a preview of Becky's Banditos....



Pure imagination, candy and beer. Mmmmmmm.
(And wouldn't Becky and Her Banditos be an awesome name for a band?)

Oh, and 3 followers!!!! 97 to go until the big prize! ( I dunno. Maybe a great big candy bar! Or lunch with Becky and the Banditos--I've got an 'in.')

1 comment:

  1. Hurrah! i am glad you do not exist in a state of jealousy. i can't wait for all of you're followers to become my followers. ...i think that just means Gretchen...
    we could totally get into a "whose got the most/least followers" contest, depending on who we want to be winning/losing. we can switch off.

    ReplyDelete