Monday, April 9, 2012

Happy Easter!


The plain, old fashioned food coloring with vinegar in hot water served to decorate our eggs this year. There was nothing fancy about it. Nothing except for the colors when I gave Hannah and Caleb a free rein in deciding what colors to make their eggs. Each could pick six.

"What would happen if we put some blue and red--like fifteen drops of blue and five of red?"
"How about fifteen red and five blue?"
"Red and yellow make orange...but what if we put more yellow in. Lots more yellow!"
"Great!"
Said I: "Don't you just want to make a blue egg? How about red?"
This was met with looks of disappointment in my lack of imagination. Blue? Who makes a blue egg when you can mix and match to your hearts content?
"That's kind of boring," Caleb said semi-tactfully.
"Really boring," Hannah noted with no tact at all.

So, I cleaned out four ceramic mugs several times to create the twelve colors they came up with. There are no two colors that are alike. Several are similar, but none are exactly alike. The children were content. I was cowed into acknowledging their superiority in deciding colors. "Maybe adults just don't see the same amount of colors kids do," Hannah theorized with a gentle pat on my arm. Condescended to by a ten year old. My Easter egg coloring experience was complete. I see the same colors they do, I just had laundry waiting in the basement. I didn't think I had time to create twelve different colors. I was wrong. The satisfaction of my children at the successful completion of the job well done told me that I was dead wrong.



 
Now we will eat the egss for lunch, I suggest the day after Easter.
 
 "Ew." Wrinkled noses and frowny faces regarded the suggestion doubtfully. "Eggs are okay as long as you don't have to eat the yellow middles," I was informed.

I have a dozen hard-boiled eggs to eat at home. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment