Monday, April 9, 2012

Wallaby no. 1


This is Caleb in my very first Wonderful Wallaby! It may look like a hooded sweatshirt, (it is) but I knit it. I knit the whole thing. Isn't it great? He picked the colors and the yarn he wanted. Some people say "He must be a Cubs fan." But he isn't really. George patted Caleb on the head and said. "Norwegian flag--cool." But Caleb really doesn't recognize the Norwegian flag yet, in spite of his father's Scandinavian pride.
In the yarn store Caleb had gravitated to the dark blues over and over again. "How about green?" I suggested.
"No." Caleb picked up the shade of blue that you see in the picture. "I like this."
I looked at it. Hand-wash only. "Really? How about this blue?" I suggested another one that is easier to care for.
"No." Caleb insisted. "This is the one I want."
"Why?"
"Because it reminds me of the color of the water in the Bay of Fundy, Mom. Remember that? When it was raining, and we were walking on the bottom of the ocean when the tide was low?"

Of course I remember. I remember quite well.
So, Caleb has a Wonderful Wallaby that must be hand washed, but I don't care (much.) He remembers the Bay of Fundy when he wears it, and our adventures walking around on the bottom of the ocean. How many kids can say that? How many Moms?

No comments:

Post a Comment