Tuesday, April 17, 2012

What are you writing for?

I spent nearly five years getting a master's degree in education (reading education specifically--but writing and curriculum development played a huge role in the program) and one thing that stuck with me from the courses in how to teach writing is that you must keep your audience in mind when writing. Who is your intended audience? Who do you want to reach? What purpose does this paper/story/report serve? Do you want to entertain? enlighten? persuade?

Sometimes I think that I just need to write. I don't know if there is any purpose served by my writing, or if it's just something that I do automatically, like buying the candy-bar from the vending machine. (I don't even think about it any more. That Twix bar just winds up in my hand. And then I can't waste it for pity's sake...ugh. No wonder I can't lose weight.)

Looking back over my blog entries I realize that all of these stories are things that I would have told Mom if she were still here. These are the things I would have called her to share. These are the things that we would have laughed about together, or she would have been present to witness, or that she would have yelled at me about (sorry for the 'Loads' entry...although it is kind of funny in a gross way.)

Ultimately, I guess I'm writing for myself...but I'm writing for her too. I'm writing all of the things that I can't tell her any more. You guys are the surrogate audience for my stories, and I really want to say thanks. Maybe through your eyes, through your reading it she can know that I'm thinking of her.


No comments:

Post a Comment