Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Hannah and Kate


This is Hannah. Isn't she wearing a lovely dress?










Admire the detailing. This is all hand-sewn. We were very careful with the hooks and eyes and tiny buttons. I let her wear a pair of my shoes(!) and the dress just barely touched the ground.

This was Hannah's great-great Grandmother Kate (Hauschild?)Rost's dress. We think it might have been from a school graduation. Hannah is the only person in in this house who is small (thin) enough to wear it right now.  I'm going through all of the things I've taken from Mom's house. It amazes me what is passed on from generation to generation. Hannah asked with wonder as she smoothed the lace on the dress. "This was made before World War II? Near World War I?" She was awestruck. Caleb looked at her and laughed. "You look all dressy and stuff. You look like a rag-bag." (Full disclosure-the dress needs some ironing, but I'm afraid to get anywhere near it with anything hot.)

 Hannah snapped at him. "THIS IS LIKE A HUNDRED YEARS OLD! DON'T TOUCH IT!"

But I have to touch it. It's a part of me. And it's beautiful. And my daughter is beautiful. And a hundred years ago, someone else made something beautiful that is now in my hands. Wow.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful work of art!! So glad that your family cared for it properly! I think that Hannah needs a beautiful hat from that era to wear with it. Our friend Kathryn Menn has a million hats. I think I will check to see if she might have one that she would part with!!
    Hannah looks lovely---you should have a professional photo taken of her!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane, Hannah looks good in hats. She's lucky that way. Now getting her to wear something other than a baseball cap or ski hat...that's a little more difficult!

    ReplyDelete