Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Crazy Hat Day

The kids were talking to the girl who lives across the street. She's currently attending Portage Park School (our school) and let my little chickens know that it's spirit week. So in honor of Spirit Week in our school, we have a different theme every day. Today the theme was "Crazy Hat Day!"

Caleb made his hat the Tower of Gogurt
Hannah made her hat the Rainbow Cat.


I told them to use whatever art supplies they wanted, and just go to town. They went into the recycle bin and the art drawer and then followed my instructions and just went to town. When I woke up this morning, they were both walking around with their wonderful hats on their heads, deservedly proud of their creations. Their creativity always catches me by surprise, and I don't know why. "Mom, you know us. Why are you always surprised?" Hannah asked, rolling her eyes at my delight.

Good question. I don't know why their creativity tickles me so much. Maybe I'm so used to being let down,  that I'm always grateful to be pleasantly, happily surprised. Maybe it just proves that I'm not as cynical and jaded as I think that I am sometimes. I hope these kids never stop surprising me--in a good way-- no matter how much it frustrates my daughter to have her mother giggle over the wonderfully silly and thought-provoking things they create.

One more view of the Rainbow Cat. Notice the ears?

No comments:

Post a Comment