Sunday, January 13, 2013

New Toys and More Hobbies!


I purchased a new toy for myself. This is my 10"Cricket Loom. It's a rigid heddle loom (I move the heddle by hand to create the upper and lower sheds--weaving lingo!) I thought that it would be a good way to get rid of some of my extra stash of yarn. Make scarves! Make placemats! Make belts! Make 10" widths of fabric that I can later sew together for...wider fabric!


My first piece was this lovely scarf. I like this picture because you can't see all the mistakes.

Then I made one for Hannah. She helped.

Then I found this interesting yarn hidden in my stash. It's not the sort of thing that I could knit with, and there wasn't enough to make a big project, but Hannah loves this scarf too.

I just can't seem to stop. Once I learned how to warp the loom (See? More weaving lingo!!) things began going to go sooooooo smoothly that I've gotten a little crazy. I want to get more creative, and I think I've found yet another outlet.

George says he knows it's only a matter of time until I buy a spinning wheel. How far from spinning to raising my own flock of sheep? Or goats? Or alpaca?

I told him not to worry. It's not a true obsession until I know how to do at least five different things with fiber. Right now, I just have a lot of hobbies. After all I only crochet, knit, felt, weave, sew...

Ah, crap. Too late.

2 comments:

  1. Becky and I toyed with the idea of raising Alpacas. They're the only investment you can hug! We're in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made my first plaid pattern!! I'm so proud. (doesn't take much.)

    ReplyDelete