Thursday, November 1, 2012

Dressing up for the Holidays

 
Halloween isn't my favorite holiday. I never felt right begging for food from my neighbors. That's why I let George take the kids out while I stay at home performing my charitable duty of providing sugar and sweets to the deprived neighborhood kids.
 
 I have to say that getting the kids costumes together is one of the best things about Halloween. Once they decide what they want to be, all I have to do is figure out how to do it. Last year Hannah was "Cosmic Girl." She made it up, and I had to figure out what this vision of hers meant. I'll have to find some pictures, but we cut out stars and planets and comets and sewed and glued them onto a black unitard. She wore a mask and a skirt. That was about it. The previous year she was Edward Elric from Full Metal Alchemist. I'll just say that even when she explained the costume, no one knew who she was. It was really cool though. This year she is a Pokemon trainer. Some people guessd she was Lady Gaga. When she explained though, some of the confusion cleared up...but only some.
 
 
 Caleb was a bloody mummy. We got him a skeleton costume and sewed cheesecloth all around it. Then we ripped it. Then we added red paint for the blood. It has to be bloody because it's Halloween, and what's Halloween without a little bit of blood? Caleb is a traditionalist with his Halloween costumes. He was a skeleton three years ago. Then he was a Grim Reaper (with skeleton underneath.) Then last year he was a zombie (with skeleton visible through the ripped t-shirt he wore.) We got a lot of mileage out of that skeleton costume. It was a little bit sad that we needed a new one this year. Maybe he'll be a zombie-skeleton-mummy next year. Or a skeletonized ghost.
  


Halloween isn't my favorite holiday of the year, but the kids make it fun.







No comments:

Post a Comment